The plaintiff had been at a party and bitten into a Haribo cola bottle that contained a hard object, and damaged two of his teeth. The foreign object was subsequently identified as plaster from a wall or ceiling.
Haribo denied that it would be possible for plaster to have found its way into their sweets during production, and asserted that the object must have fallen from the ceiling at the party that the man had attended.
However, the plaintiff asserted that the plaster was fully enveloped inside the gelatine sweet, meaning that it had occurred during production.
Haribo even attempted to deny that the sweet was of the Haribo brand!
The judge was obviously not swayed by their arguments, and ordered them to pay 2000 Euros compensation to the man.
My reaction? GOOD! Haribo sweets, in my opinion, are little pockets of poison. Not only terrible for teeth (even when they’re not full of plaster), but also full of nasty flavouring and e numbers.